Sunday, November 26, 2006

Okanagan Marathon - Oct 8

Okanagan Marathon
Chip: 3:26:13 (10th F; 4 F(20-29))
Pace: 4:53.4 min/km

So, I have finally moved to Calgary, which meant that I had to make the difficult decision of forfeiting my start at Chicago Marathon and miss seeing the old LRDC group. Instead went to Kelowna with mom and Christine, who had a great time doing the Mission Hill wine tour while I ran. Also saw the Chinook and Sockeye salmon runs - amazing.

Saturday
Went to view the start, and while leaving race site, were caught in a 4 car accident caused by a drunk driver, right outside the Athletic Center. Didn't get to bed until quite late.

Sunday
6AM - breakfast at hotel - unappetizing
7AM - Dave (Eau Claire RR manager) is pacing 4:30
8AM - confusing start - 3:30 pacer was behind the 2:00 half pacer. So I kept moving up the line until the gun went off. light rain is already making my Saucony Fastwitch wet.

5k in 0:26
slow and uninteresting - kind of in a daze and don't come out of it until 5k. See Krys at turnaround; she's going for 3:25 and I call out her name but she's pretty focussed and listening to her ipod. start to pick it up.

10k
have caught up to 3:30 pace group who push me to pick it up - want to stay with them but they're doing 10:1 so I leave them at their walk break and promise myself I'll stay in front of them

16k
have caught up to 1:45 pace group (??) who tell me I'm on 3:26 pace. have a little panic moment when we come around to the start line again but am quickly reasurred that am on the right path

22k
see mom and christine, which is a surprise. 22k is a dirt road up the escarpment and some slight rolling hill afterward. the view is worth the climb but dirt path was unexpected. Also running beside a line of cars waiting for runners to cross the road. kind of motivating - nobody wants to walk while everyone is watching from their cars. See no women around so have no idea where I stand - but not worried about place at all

30k in 2:30
not wearing a watch, so this is what I'm told by the man next to me. bodes well and am feeling fine although pinned gel is chafing my waist. I know it will hurt later.

35k
trying to pick it up because only 7k left and time running out. legs are not moving well due to lack of speedwork.

42.2k
way too much left at the end, but a very satisfying run. At massage I see a few people from RR and Calgary Roadrunners, and a man I met at Ottawa Marathon in May so we chat a while. massage. walk 2 hrs back to hotel. long shower, eat junk and sleep the rest of the afternoon.

Apparently my running partner fell ill and didn't get to do Chicago after all. Chris and (2:31) and Steve (2:45) did well.